Sunday, April 8, 2007

Speed of progression

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:22 pm Post subject: Speed of progression

Although I was diagnosed only a few months ago, I have had the tremors in the left arm for almost 3 years. I am noticing that my tremors are worsening and and my left arm and leg are starting to spasm. I am so stiff some days and in pain all over (back and neck a lot) that I have trouble walking. My question is this - I have been told by my family doctor that "you're not going to have a lot of trouble with PD" and that PD progresses very slowly yet I am having more and more difficulty with balance, pain, stiffness and spasms. Do some people progress more quickly than others? Is there a rule of thumb as to how many months or years before PWP see their symptoms getting worse? Do PWP plateau for a period of years and then worsen or is it usually very gradual and almost unnoticeable? God Bless You and All the Help that you give to PWP, MJ


Dr. FernandezJoined: 20 Jan 2007Posts: 0
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:05 pm Post subject:

The general rule is that everyone with PD progresses over time and that each person differs on the rate of progression. Some progress very slowly such that you barely see a difference from year to year, and a few progress rather quickly and you see a difference from month to month. Another general rule is that patient who are not optimally treated with their medication generally do worse than patients who are. Yours,_________________Hubert H. Fernandez

No comments: