Sunday, September 2, 2007

A sad story

Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 94
Location: www.nutritionucanlivewith.com
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:08 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Hon,
I am so sorry to hear of your family’s and father’s troubles; so much could be avoided by just a bit of caring and sympathy on the part of family members.

However, I am not certain that you meant to address this post to me. I am not a physician, but a registered dietitian. I do not diagnose or treat PD, my area of practice is with nutrition-related concerns. Therefore, I could not, and would not, attempt to diagnose, nor determine his stage of, PD.

I do think that it’s a good idea to make sure he has supplements of vitamin B12, as we don’t always metabolize (digest) this well, as we age, and the symptoms of deficiency can mimic those of Alzheimer’s disease. I also think that servings of fish, if he will accept it, would be very good. Fish contain omega-3 fatty acids, which benefit the brain and nervous system, as well as the heart; if deficient, it can result in a type of depression that is not well-treated with medication.

It sounds to me as though you and your family are doing a fine job of caring for your father, and it is a shame that other family members do not appreciate this. Unfortunately, this happens all too often. Try to keep up your good work and trust in God, who sees and knows your efforts, and also hears and knows of the nasty comments from his relatives.
_________________
Best regards,
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD

No comments: