Thursday, November 15, 2007

masked face with parkinson's disease

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:58 am Post subject: Masked face with Parkinson's patients

There are few articles touch on the above subject on how the treatment to help PD patients with Masked face? I understand most PD patients have masked face (poker) that they would not express with a smile. They cover their face with a mask. Kindly elaborate the causes and the treatment? Best regards' TEOKIMHOE
Back to top


Dr. FernandezJoined: 20 Jan 2007Posts: 90
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:57 pm Post subject:

The cause, I am assuming is "rigidity of the facial muscles", just like rigidity/stiffness of limbs and other body parts in PD. We have no treatment for masked facies at present. At the University of Florida, we are testing a device/procedure called inspiratory muscle strength training to see if it can improved masked faces. Those who live within driving distance to Gainesville, we are still looking for 20 more patients! I am unaware of any more studies that are looking into masked facies. Yours,_________________Hubert H. Fernandez
Back to top




Anonymous
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:58 am Post subject:

A friend of mine had some sort of facial acupuncture which was supposed to tighten up the muscles for a more youthful look and SERIOUSLY she looked different! I'm sure it didn't last long but I was thinking something like that might be good for the muscles and I know regular acupuncturists have facial areas they work on. Just a thought. I was thinking of trying it myself as my face is not really bad, I can smile, etc. but it is a lot of work. Also, in the exercise books for PD there are facial exercises and I observed a Lee Silverman voice lesson once and a lot of the exercises were really just about using the muscles of the face and tongue (as well as vocalizing in that case) I would say, free and easy would be to exercise all those muscles every day at home at least and maybe think about the massage (facial massage can be done by oneself!) and the acupuncture. Medicine and science are busy dealing with the big issues and sometimes we forget to use our common sense on the smaller things . . . Peace to all. Hope you don't mind me chiming in!
Back to top


Dr. FernandezJoined: 20 Jan 2007Posts: 90
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:08 am Post subject:

Not a problem! My pleasure to post for you. Anecdotal experiences and observations such as these are important...but we need to put it in its place....it should not be a prescription for all, especially those who cannot afford it as easily. If one has limited resources, then it is best to use them in the most proven therapies. If one's resources are unlimited, then yes, every bit helps, as long as they are not harmful. Yours,_________________Hubert H. Fernandez
Back to top


Anonymous
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:26 am Post subject: Masked face and Parkinson's

I agree with you that Medicine and science are busy dealing with the big issues and sometimes we forget to use our common sense on the smaller things. Sorry for me to disturb you again People with masked faces signal it as neurological conditions and emotions disorder. People with masked faces is expressionless appearance of individuals with the disorder . There are ways to diminish masked faces as follows: 1 MST training (muscle strength training) for people with masked faces to improve respiratory strength and mobility of muscle around the mouth. 2. Blowing air deeply into a balloon help to relax your stiffness and rigidity of muscle around your mouth. 3. Gargle yourself with water in your throat and blow air through it without swallowing it ,by twisting your neck to left and right, up and down to increases your facial muscle strength to relieve and improve people with problems of respiratory and swallowing. Do it 3- 4 times a day and it is miracle. Kindly advise TEOKIMHOE
Back to top Thanks so much, I shall be trying those excercises, that is the one thing I miss the most is my smile. Please don't laugh the reason is; one is always greeted by the smile on the person face as you meet them so you have a tendency to smile back. Many a friendly chat has been the results a friendly smile. A number of years before I was dx my children would say SMILE mom when taking my picture I would say I am trying to. Never realized there was no smile, I loved walking down the street smiling because life was great never totally realized they saw my smile and now I miss it. Deeann
'

No comments: