Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Can Exercise do for Parkinson's Patients what medicine can't

Post subject: Can exercise do for parkinson's patients what medicine can't

Besides exercises medication are important for PD patients. Medications help you to relieve your body movement and mobility as to help you during exercises. Both are related. Consistencies, persistences, dsciplines towards exercises besides medication are the key for you to combat the diseases. I spend nearly three years in the fitness centre three hours daily in gym exercises classes i.e Yoga, body combat, spinning, body pump except Sunday. I finally combat the disease. I do not look like Parkinson's Patient as told by my neurologlist, fitness members and instructors. Besides I engage two personnel trainers to align my body posture and do strectching my stiffness muscles. I do Box and Kick exercises and cardio as well as weights lifting two times a week and last an hour to train my endurance and flexibility. Is it hard work? Can you do? Is it mad that I am a Parkinson's patient? Do you believe?_________________to help the PD patients aware the diseases and encourage to set up support groups to educate the patients and their immediate families
Back to top
wheelersceJoined: 02 Mar 2007Posts: 348Location: MI
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:33 am Post subject:

Teokimhoe, You really are a fighter! I'm afraid most of us couldn't manage your routine. The studies seem to agree with you, that not only exercise, but hard exercise, can help whip PD. Still, I figure moderate exercise is better than none, so I do my daily walk and modest workout. I wouldn't say you're mad, but you are perhaps eccentric--and that's just fine! Thanks for sharing. Sue W.



Dear Mr Teo

Both medications and regular physical exercise are helpful - they complement each other in the treatment of PD. Exercise helps to maintain body fitness. For the purpose of carrying out regular exercise, the PD patient should be taking adequate dose of medications (obviously). A common observation in Malaysia is that there are many PD patients who do not carry out physical exercise simply because they are under-medicated.

In our country, the treatment of PD is rather conservative - the total daily dose of medications is relatively low compared with other countries. This is a pity because without adequate dose of medications, many of our PD patients are deprived of activities such as physical exercise, driving, etc. Dr Chew Nee Kong, Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: