Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Medication and exercise

Both medications and regular physical exercise are helpful - they complement each other in the treatment of PD. Exercise helps to maintain body fitness. For the purpose of carrying out regular exercise, the PD patient should be taking adequate dose of medications (obviously). A common observation in Malaysia is that there are many PD patients who do not carry out physical exercise simply because they are under-medicated. In our country, the treatment of PD is rather conservative - the total daily dose of medications is relatively low compared with other countries. This is a pity because without adequate dose of medications, many of our PD patients are deprived of activities such as physical exercise, driving, etc. Dr Chew Nee Kong, Kuala Lumpur.



I agree exercise is very important and find it really helps me. I go Nordic Walking (with two poles) twice a week. The class are all younger than me and it is at a fast pace. I struggle to keep going but after I have had my post walk shower I feel great. Am going to join a gym (local authority grant) to do even more


I worked for 7 years after my first sympton, 6 years after diagnosis. My 3 girls were ages 2-12 years. After working and going home to another job, I had no time nor energy to exercise. I was married but my husband was not suppportive. As my girls grew, I have always been too tired and with the symptons I experienced, there was no way I was going to a gym. Now is the first time I feel like doing something. I want to start walking. Walking was one of the things I enjoyed and had to give up. No one mentioned exercise to me at the beginning. But then I didi not try to educate my self

See that breaks my heart that with all the money & relief help going on that people have to suffer.DR.have you tried reaching drug companies in U.S.Alot of them do humanitary work[even if for tax exemption].Please let me know maybe we can light a fire under them.With your data there and our efforts here Contact me so we could brain storm.Tom

I never ever would have believed that exercise was SOOO IMPORTANT in fighting my PD symptoms...but it is...I have less pain and I do move better now for the most part. I think one of the best decisions I have made since being dx was requesting physical therapy. I now have many different stretches and see the benefits of exercise.

No comments: