Friday, May 2, 2008

Overdose or optimize Requip Medication

Dear Doctor,
I have been taking requip medication for nine months. My dosage was increased from 1 mg to 12 mg over a period of 9 months probably due a minor stroke I had a month ago. My daily dosage of PD medication consists of : requip, sinemet CR(1 1/2 mg) and jumex (10mg). Apart from that, I take calcium (2000 mg) and omega3 tablets, aspirin (due to my minor stroke),florinef (low blood pressure) plus replacement sports drink daily.
I have been suffering from dizzinness, insomina, dry mouth and etc. Are these the side effects of PD medication? Or are the side effects due to overdosage or underdosage of PD medication?
Further, do the above medication worsen my PD or are they effective in slowing down my PD?
I would be grateful if you could clarify.
Thank you

Ropinirole and other dopamine agonists are good medications for PD, especially in the early stage. I have many patients who have done well with dopamine agonists monotherapy. However, till today, there is no ideal medication for PD. Even dopamine agonists (or any other PD medications) can cause a drop in blood pressure (postural hypotension), which causes dizziness and fainting attacks. Hope that the fludrocortisone that i prescribed you today will help bring up your blood pressure back to normal. Dr Chew Nee Kong, Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: