Thursday, May 8, 2008

Urination and Parkinson's

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:25 am Post subject: Urination and Parkinson's

I have experienced a lack control as far as urinationis concern. Firstly, when I am in the midst of urinating, I am unable to hold back or stop halfway through. Secondly, when I feel the need to unrinate I must go to the toliet immediately. I will not be able to hold back at all. I have seen Urinogist and was told my PSA is normal though I have slight enlarged prostate gland. My medication: 1 Capsule Detrusitol SR 4 mg and one dose Harnal 0.2mg taken after breakfast daily. Kindly clarify whether the above is it related to Parkinson's Disease? If it is please explain why and how this affects my problem of urination? Is it ageing process? Combination cause of enlarged Prostate gland and Parkinson's? Thanks TEOKIMHOE
Back to top


Dr. RodriguezJoined: 22 Jan 2007Posts: 92Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:42 am Post subject:

I do not believe is a result of the PD and is more likely a result of enlargement of the prostate, quite common in men over 50y/o._________________Ramon L Rodriguez, MD
Back to top




Anonymous
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:20 am Post subject: Urination and Parkinson's

In reply to the above articles my Urinologlist told me it is related with Parkinson's and not the cause of prostate gland as it is a slight enlargement . Besides My PSA is at normal level as I have gone blood test. Parkinson's is a movement disorders and discharge of urine is part of movement. Therefore it is dopamine in the brain and stimulate the brain cells to funtion normally. Kindly advise TEOKIMHOE
Back to top


Dr. RodriguezJoined: 22 Jan 2007Posts: 92Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:06 pm Post subject:

TEOKIMHOE Rule number one in PD: Do not assume (or let any other person assume) that everything that happens to you from now on is a result of PD. I have seen many PD patients with medical problems related to other body systems not treated on time because they were originally blamed on PD. Now, some patients with PD may have some autonomic insufficiency, and as a result may have incomplete emptying, usually in the more advance stages of PD (earlier in some patients with PD plus symptoms). When problems of this sort occur in early PD patient, I just cannot blame it on the PD. Could it be? Sure, but it is not the norm and I prefer to make sure that I am not missing any potential treatment becasue I am assuming that everything that occurs is a result of PD. Hope this helps. MEds like FLomax or Detrol may help._________________Ramon L Rodriguez, MD
Back to top


Anonymous
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:45 am Post subject: Urination and Parkinson's

In fact there are 27-29% of PD have bladder and urinary difficulties. Unlike bowel dysfunction which becomes motor feature at the early stage of PD urinary and bladder dyfunction with PD becomes evident at later stages of Parkinson's. The primary function of the bladder is twofold- to store urine and then to empty the urine when it is convenient and socially acceptable to do so. The most common urinary symptoms experienced by people with PD are first the need to urinate extremely frequently and difficulty in delaying urination once the need perceived , creating a sense of urinary urgency. Therefore urinary problem is a feature amongst PD and they should not hesitate to bring these problems to the doctor and seek for treatment. Awareness of their existence and recognition of their problems are the way to manage well. TEOKIMHOE
Back to top


Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:18 pm Post subject:

Dear Mr Teo Dr Rodriguez has made very important comments about the possibilities of co-existing problems in PD such as prostate gland enlargement, and bladder dysfunction due to the parkinsoonism-plus syndrome. The basic point is that we should not attribute all the symptoms to PD. Mr. Teo's symptoms are most likely due to prostate gland enlargement, which was why I referred him to a urosurgeon. Dr Chew Nee Kong, Kuala Lumpur

No comments: