Monday, October 20, 2008

Forum:Oral Health:Saliva,swallowing,dentures

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:13 am Post subject: Parkinson's Oral Health: Saliva,swallowing, and dentures

Dear Doctor Recently I have problems with my excess saliva and my lower and upper dentures could slipping and sliding even I paste on. I do not have drooling. Controversy I find comfortable without putting my dentures as I could easy swallow my excess saliva. Though I have drooling. Questions: Is it the dentures increasing my excess saliva? Is it the excess saliva caused by slow swallowing ? Why I do not have drooling when I put on the dentures? Kindly advise TEKIMHOE
Back to top

http://www.mydr.com.au/default.asp?article=3297


Dr. OkunJoined: 19 Jan 2007Posts: 251Location: University of Florida
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:48 pm Post subject:

I am not sure the relationship with the dentures, but in PD decreased swallowing could lead to pooling of saliva. Many docs will adjust PD medications, and occassionally use atropine drops in the mouth or anticholinergics (could be side effects). Botulinum toxin has been used successfully for saliva issues in PD._________________Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Back to top


http://www.dva.gov.au/health/menshealth/15_saliva.htm

No comments: