Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Is Parkinsonism different from Parkinson’s Disease?

Joined: 20 Jan 2007Posts: 90
Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:36 pm Post subject: Post of the Week-6/29/09

Is Parkinsonism different from Parkinson's Disease? Parkinsonism simply refers to a person who has symptoms that look like Parkinson’s disease, but after careful scrutiny they are found not to have regular idiopathic Parkinson’s disease. The symptoms in many cases may include the same motor and non-motor manifestations of Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism usually does not respond well to dopamine or to other medications commonly used to treat Parkinson’s disease, and your doctor should perform an on/off clinical examination with a tool called the Unified Parkinson’s Disease Rating Scale to observe whether there is an adequate response to dopaminergic medications (usually approximately 30% or more in Parkinson’s disease). There are several Parkinsonian syndromes which have distinctive characteristics when compared to regular garden variety Parkinson’s disease. Some illustrative examples include (note not all of the below features need to be present for a diagnosis): Lewy Body Disease- Parkinson’s symptoms plus hallucinations and thinking problems which occur within the first few years of diagnosis. Corticobasal Degeneration- Parkinson’s symptoms along with problems with skilled movements (apraxia), a misbehaving limb (alien limb), sensory loss, myoclonus (sudden-lightening like movements), and possibly dementia. Mutiple System Atrophy- Cerebellar Type- Parkinson’s symptoms plus problems walking and problems with coordination (also called Olivopontocerebellar Degeneration or OPCA). Multiple System Atrophy- Autonomic Type- Parkinson’s symptoms plus problems with autonomic dysfunction (early erectile or sexual dysfunction, dizziness when standing up, problems with digestion and/or constipation (also referred to sometimes as Shy-Drager syndrome). Multiple System Atrophy- Striatonigral Degeneration Type- severe Parkinson’s symptoms but largely unresponsive to dopaminergic therapy. Progressive Supranuclear Palsy- severe Parkinson’s symptoms, plus early falling, dementia, and problems moving the eyes particularly in the up and down directions. Vascular Parkinsonism- usually presents with shuffling feet (some people call it lower body Parkinsonism) and it is usually caused by small strokes with or without other Parkinson’s symptoms. *We like to conservatively observe regular cases of Parkinson’s disease for five or more years before making a definitive diagnosis because in some cases Parkinsonism or Parkinson’s plus can be levodopa responsive many years into the illness_________________Hubert H. Fernandez

1 comment:

Peter weller said...

I was diagnosed in November 2007 with Parkinson's Disease. I have left side tremors, balance and gait issues and some non-motor symptoms:  quiet voice, some cognitive decline, small handwriting. I am currently on Sinemet for tremors and Cymbalta for neuropathy related to diabetes and previous chemotherapy. It was on my 25th anniversary of surviving breast cancer that I got the PD diagnosis. I am 69, retired, single woman sharing a house with my sister.  I like to read, quilt, and crochet. I have been reading up on PD.  Until I read too much and it scares me.  Then I put it away until I calm down and can research it some more. I need advice and some direction. I searched further, visited Parkinson’s websites, blogs. I find info about someone having the same symptoms. I was really determined. Fortunately for me, I stumbled on a testimony of someone who had Parkinson’s for several years and was cured through Herbal medication. I read awesome stories of people whose condition were worse. I was not a fan of Herbal Medication, because I once believed that they have not researched it enough. But due to numerous testimonies  I was more than willing to try it…. I contacted  Dr. Fabien, and I purchased the medicine and used just the way doctor instructed. Its a thing of joy to come back and make my review.. It became a miracle for me within 7 months. The herbal medication worked without any trace of side effects on I’m…. totally free. I have been cured for Parkinson’s. I was a shocking experience with the medicine. I never knew I will be free for Parkinson’s disease.  Email dr.fabiencontantin@gmail.com or www.kunimeherbs.com